Blood Sampling: Venipuncture or Vascular Access Device?
Obtaining blood samples is one of the most common procedures performed in most healthcare settings, yet educational program are few. Published studies report that up to 81% of collected specimens have errors occurring before it reaches the lab, the pre-analytic phase. Another significant risk is hospital-acquired anemia due to blood sampling techniques.
The choices could include drawing from a direct venipuncture, at the time of peripheral catheter insertion, or from an existing vascular access device. Each option carries risk and requires a patient assessment about the best method. This course explores issues, errors, risk and complications of each option..
We have examined more than 100 references to provide the evidence needed for your practice decisions and for writing policies and procedures. One thing is clear. There may be different and acceptable methods for obtaining blood samples, but all staff should be practicing in standardized manner. This eliminates variations so that outcomes can be assessed more accurately.
Links to other applicable websites, an automated glossary of terms, and a dedicated discussion forum are all features of our courses.
After successful completion of this course you will receive 5.0 contact hours.
After completion of the online learning activity, you will be able to:
Lynn Hadaway, M.Ed., RN, BC, CRNI
- Place your online education course order through PayPal.
- Orders are received in our office and processed between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
- Most orders are processed within 24 hours of purchase. If you have questions, contact us.
- After processing, you will receive an email with directions to join our course including an enrollment key. Follow the link provided in the email. You will be taken to a page to create a new user account. You will get an email to confirm your new account. Once clicking on the confirmation link, you will have will be able to scroll through the courses listed and locate the course you purchased. Enter your enrollment key and you will have full access to your course.
- You will have access to your course for one year from the date of purchase
- Do need to get to your online course? http://hadawayassociates.mrooms3.net/ Note: you will not be able to login to your course until you have received the email from us including the directions your enrollment key.
- You can work at your own pace, starting and stopping when it suits your schedule. NOTE: Our courses do not have sound except for courses that have video. You read the material at your own pace.
- After you have worked through all the course material, complete the evaluation and take the post-test. You will have 3 attempts to pass the test, however a passing score of 80% or better is required. Please make sure you have the required time to complete the post-test because you cannot start and stop this at will.
- Upon successful completion, you will be able to download your certificate of completion.
- Don't forget to access additional information in the Resource Section. These resources are linked within the course but you can have access to each resource without scrolling through the entire course.